Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bohemian Decor Rhapsody, or Getting Back to the Hippy In Me

Okay, so I'm a child of the 60's.  Although it seems like a world away to some, it's always close at hand in my mind.  As far as what I consider the beautiful things in life, it always points back to my hippy roots.  I love natural, organic and used.  Admittidly, I am not a hippy at heart when it comes to luxury....I'm really high maintanence.  Anyway, since I'm going to soon have  a clean slate to work with in my new space, I've been thinking that it's a perfect time for change.  Although I may fight it at times, I love change, it keeps things young, fresh and spirited. So, I feel as if I'm going out on a limb when I think of what I want to do with my new space.  French country, tuscan and other European country styles always give me a feeling of warmth and home.  But at the same time, I see the clean lines and uncluttered look of contemporary and I always envy the people who inhabit those rooms. 

What I have found on my search for what to incorporate into my new look, Bohemian keeps coming back.  As I see pictures of those rooms it's like coming home to the young girl in me who had hunger for adventure, life and truth.  From what I've learned, and correct me if I'm wrong, Bohemian style for interiors is always an ecclectic mix of color, texture, the old with the new, and something funky and unexpected.  Okay, so below is an example.





Notice the stove, an old gas stove I adore...The white kitchen cabinets with the silver handles...great stuff there!!!
(The above photos are all via "house beautiful")
I'm still not sure if the bohemian thing is what I'll be doing. Maybe to actually label what I want to do is confining.  Probably not making a committment and just going with what I truly love will be the key.  Maybe there isn't a label....But I'll keep you informed.  In the meantime..some more inspiration that keeps my heart beating with excitement and anticipation.



These gorgeous items are all from Bohemian Vintage, a shop on Etsy worth your time.




Above is a piece I'm thinking about buying .......  I've always loved stuff like this.  Can you tell what it says? It's great and it speaks to me...







Another great pic from Bohemian Vintage



(from 'restyled home')








above two photos from young house love blog



Basically there's this wild hippy-ness in me and another part is romantic european.....oh the choices....don'tcha love it?  Have a good one.

2 comments: